Definition of offline in English:
Not controlled by or directly connected to a computer or the Internet.
- Some initiatives work within the Internet, whereas others use the Internet more directly to facilitate offline activities.
- A final feature worth mentioning is the all-new inclusion of split-screen multiplayer for offline use.
- Although this was the first ever online virus description database, offline versions had existed long before.
adverbBack to top
1While not directly controlled by or connected to a computer or the Internet.
- Two more famous web sites were taken offline by their Internet service providers under orders from government authorities.
- Once in a while while surfing, the browser will do the same thing - the dialog box will ask if I should connect or stay offline.
- E-mails went unsent and unanswered while the Internet was kept offline to protect the beleaguered system.
1.1With a delay between the production of computer data and its processing.
- The data files are then offline processed through the software to estimate the attitude parameters.
- The process is conducted offline - taking down the production system until the batch update is completed - because it takes so long.
- The sheer volume processing offline was just not practical.
Definition of offline in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan