- A person with a lot of experience in something: the examiner is an old hand at the gameMore example sentences
expert, past master, virtuoso, master, wizard, genius, artist, adept, professional, doyen, veteran, maestro, connoisseur, authority, grandmaster, master hand, skilled personBritish • informal dab hand
- The biggest problems are felt to come from clashes between out-of-towners and old hands, or between experienced surfers and the novices.
- Perhaps I should instigate a mentoring scheme between old hands and newcomers?
- Mr Cooper said his friend took the lead as he was more experienced at climbing crags since he was an old hand at scaling Stanage Edge in the Peak District.
More definitions of old handDefinition of old hand in:
- The US English dictionary