1 derogatory A single woman regarded as too old for marriage: if you don’t mind your tongue, you’ll die an old maid
More example sentences
- Do you wish for you and your sister to grow into single old maids?
- As illegal divers working for the Asian export market continue to thin abalone populations, the survivors are dying off as old maids and bachelors.
- The daughter was heartbroken, never married and died an old maid.
2 [mass noun] A card game in which players collect pairs and try not to be left with an odd penalty card, typically a queen.
- The school is also encouraging parents to introduce their children to cards games such as old maid, snap and bridge.
- As in old maid, you do not know what card you are going to take, and the player you are taking the card from does not know which one you will take.
- Steph has a poker face as good as my 4 year old daughter playing old maid.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: old maid
Definition of old maid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.