noun (plural olingos)
- A small nocturnal mammal resembling the kinkajou but with a long muzzle and a bushy non-prehensile tail, living in tropical American rainforests.
More example sentences
- Genus Bassaricyon, family Procyonidae: between one and five species
- Within 10 million years of that event the procyonid group split into Old World procyondis represented today by the red panda and the New World procyonids (for example, raccoons, coatis, olingos, kinkajous).
- Roland Kays, curator of mammals at New York State Museum in Albany, studied two nocturnal raccoon relatives, kinkajous and olingos, at STRI in Panama.
1920s: via American Spanish from Mayan.
More definitions of olingoDefinition of olingo in:
- The US English dictionary