noun (plural ommatidia /-dɪə/)Entomology
- Each of the optical units that make up the compound eye of an insect.More example sentences
- In contrast, myriapods and chelicerates mostly lack compound eyes and the ommatidia of the few groups that have compound eyes are very different from insect/crustacean ommatidia.
- In all these animals, the larval eye continues to exist as part of the adult eye, although the number of ommatidia in the adult compound eye far exceeds the larval quantity.
- The retina of the compound eye is organized into approximately 3000 functional units or ommatidia, each containing eight photoreceptor cells.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek ommatidion, diminutive of omma, ommat- 'eye'.
More definitions of ommatidiumDefinition of ommatidium in:
- The US English dictionary