Definition of on drive in English:
A drive to the on side.
- Giffen was an attacking batsman and had a variety of strokes including powerful off and on drives.
- And the on drives looked great, very few batsmen have the ability to play ball wide of mid on without lifting the ball.
- Getting hit on drives to the basket is nothing new for him.
verbBack to top
(on-drive) [with object] Drive a ball delivered by (a bowler) to the on side: Wright, who had on-driven Maru for six earlier, was immediately run out
More example sentences
- Jonathan Hughes and Mike Powell briefly steadied the ship, with Hughes bringing up the fifty with a sumptuous cover drive off Ben Phillips, before on-driving the same bowler for another crisp four in his next over.
- His memorable moment came in the second over after the tea-break when he on-drove fast bowler Dillon.
- A little later, a pitched-up delivery was on-driven with effortless ease.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.