- Becoming weaker or less extensive: the epidemic was on the waneMore example sentences
declining, on the decline, decreasing, diminishing, dwindling, shrinking, contracting, tapering off, tailing off, subsiding, slackening, drooping, sinking, ebbing, dimming, fading away, growing faint, lessening, dissolving, petering out, winding down, falling off, attenuating, on the way out, abating, failing, receding, slumping, in a slump, in remission, flagging, atrophying, weakening, giving way, melting away, deteriorating, in a state of deterioration, crumbling, withering, disintegrating, degenerating, evaporating, collapsing, drawing to a close, vanishing, dying out, obsolescent, moribund• informal on one's last legs• rare evanescing
- Predictably, there are now encouraging signs that the epidemic is on the wane as sales slowly begin to pick up again.
- The boss of the district's own low cost airline today scorned suggestions the sector was on the wane after rival Ryanair announced a profit slump.
- Although exploration in the North Sea is on the wane, Wood does not believe Aberdeen will decline as an oil centre.
More definitions of on the waneDefinition of on the wane in:
- The US English dictionary