Definition of once upon a time in English:
1At some time in the past (used as a conventional opening of a story).
- As the conventional story goes, once upon a time the West slumbered in intellectual darkness.
- Well once upon a time, which is when my story begins, there was a little boy who lived in that cottage and on a particular summer's afternoon he was standing out in the garden.
- The boy starts his story once upon a time, knowing that's how stories begin.
1.1Formerly: once upon a time she would have been jealous, but no longer
More example sentences
- I have four (previously five, and once upon a time, nine) cats, so I have a little experience on this topic.
- I mean, they were a good band - I loved them once upon a time, and yes I had teenage girl dreams about Robert Plant.
- Yes, once upon a time, I could read music, thanks to my grandfather.
Definition of once upon a time in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan