Drawn by or using a single horse: a one-horse cart
More example sentences
- In 1848 American Agriculturist praised new wagons light enough to be pulled by only two horses. By the 1860s one-horse wagons were available.
- Four hundredweight in a one-horse cart was low in comparison with the weights carried by scheduled carriers but it is a plausible average to use for traffic on the rural roads of Cheshire.
- A one-horse cart could carry much more than a packhorse but travelled more slowly.
- A contest in which one candidate or competitor is clearly superior to all the others and seems certain to win.Example sentences
- In many eyes, this year's Best Actress Oscar contest is a one-horse race.
- The 1975 contest was a one-horse race - this time in the sense that Captain Christy led from start to finish and ended up an emphatic 30-length winner.
- Now it is widely assumed that this recent development changes everything, that the East is suddenly a one-horse race, and that the Heat - Zo and behold - has become the favorite to make it to June.
- informal A small town with few and poor facilities.Example sentences
- We're locked in with the likes of Longford, a one-horse town, the capital of country and western.
- All the rest of the time it was a sex free zone, very hard work, flying through the night and staying in motels in one-horse towns.
- Hope it's all been a blast - I imagine you'll be travelling around the place by now, so maybe you'll be picking this up at some tiny Internet cafe in a tin shack in some obscure one-horse town in the depths of the Andes.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: one-horse
Definition of one-horse in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.