Definition of one-night stand in English:
1 informal A sexual relationship lasting only one night.
- She refused to marry him, and according to one friend, ‘he had casual relationships, heavy relationships, one-night stands, one-week stands’.
- He's the type for one-night stands, not relationships.
- A hundred one-night stands cannot stand up to one night with Andrew.
1.1A person with whom one has a one-night stand.
- Right now, because of my age, it's hard to find a lover or even a one-night stand.
- Adults were here to find a lifetime lover or a one-night stand.
- Perry brought home a variety of one-night stands, and Marin had had the unfortunate experience of running into them quite often sneaking out in the mornings.
2A single performance of a play or show in a particular place.
- It is on this day in their sprawling New London summer cottage that father James bemoans the poverty that made him a miser and had him abandon a career as a Shakespearean actor for more lucrative one-night stands in The Count of Monte Cristo.
- The first and last belong to Frank Hardy, a travelling healer who, after slogging through one-night stands in Wales and Scotland, returns to his native Ireland in the hope of restoring his ailing powers.
- After about 1906, the touring companies with their one-night stands declined precipitously.
Definition of one-night stand in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.