Definition of onion dome in English:
A dome which bulges in the middle and rises to a point, used especially in Russian church architecture.
- The onion dome is sheathed in copper and has a rimu interior, and along with the wrought iron walls was built by the Christchurch firm, Veronese Brothers.
- However, it is pretty to look at with set and costumes echoing the Olivier film of Henry V apart from possibly the earliest onion dome in western Europe, and has a soundtrack which plays a quite important part.
- The 19 th-century Palais Massena is also well worth a visit, as is the Russian Orthodox St Nicolas Cathedral, with its onion domes, one of the city's most distinctive landmarks.
- Example sentences
- It is Sunday, I am in the onion-domed Alexander Nevski cathedral in Tallinn in Estonia, and I happen upon a Russian Orthodox ‘Adoration of the Eucharist’ - a spiritual experience never to be surpassed.
- The gleaming, onion-domed Saint Nicholas' Cathedral on boulevard Tsarevitch has to be one of Nice's biggest surprises, surrounded as it is by typically French mid-rise apartment complexes.
- The onion-domed Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church is one of Kodiak's landmarks.
Definition of onion dome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan