noun[usually treated as singular]
- The study of the history and origin of proper names, especially personal names.More example sentences
- For those who aren't interested at all, onomastics is the study of names and their origins.
- During the last few decades, there has been, for instance, a notable increase, within the field of onomastics, in the study of brand names, and the like, a scholarly pursuit of considerable merit, but is it concerned with names?
- The chapters that follow deal with vocabulary, syntax, onomastics, phonology, English grammar and usage and, finally, literary language.
More definitions of onomasticsDefinition of onomastics in:
- The US English dictionary