Definition of onside in English:
1(Of a player, especially in soccer, rugby, or hockey) occupying a position where playing the ball or puck is allowed; not offside: [as adjective]: an onside position [as adverb]: he was trying to get back onside, but Williams shoved him
More example sentences
- The strike was ruled out for offside but television pictures later confirmed the Arsenal player had received the ball in an onside position.
- As the kick was about to be taken the two designated players then ran back into onside positions to await any ‘bits and pieces’ that might develop.
- Few people can say that they really understand the change that permits a player to stand in an offside position at the start of a move and then be in an onside position to score at its climax.
2 informal In or into a position of agreement: [as adverb]: the assurances helped bring officials onside
More example sentences
- The traditional method of using a year - end injection of additional equity to cause a company to come onside with respect to the existing thin cap rules will not have the same impact once the new rules are in effect.
- Nevertheless it should come as no surprise that our Tool Of the Week wants to get onside with tradespeople, after all, a once over of his policies shows that there's a screw loose in there somewhere.
- This was an advancement aided substantially by the often sizeable retirement bonus with which nervous emperors made further attempts to keep the military caste onside.
Words that rhyme with onsideabide, applied, aside, astride, backslide, beside, bestride, betide, bide, bride, chide, Clyde, cockeyed, coincide, collide, confide, cried, decide, divide, dried, elide, five-a-side, glide, guide, hide, hollow-eyed, I'd, implied, lied, misguide, nationwide, nide, offside, outride, outside, pan-fried, pied, pie-eyed, pitch-side, popeyed, pride, provide, ride, Said, shied, side, slide, sloe-eyed, snide, square-eyed, starry-eyed, statewide, Strathclyde, stride, subdivide, subside, tide, tried, undyed, wall-eyed, wide, worldwide
Definition of onside in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan