Definition of onychophoran in English:
A terrestrial invertebrate of the small phylum Onychophora, which comprises the velvet worms.
- A number of fossils from the Cambrian have been described which look more or less like onychophorans.
- All of these Cambrian forms differed from living onychophorans in being marine.
- Whilst true arthropods, tardigrades and onychophorans are highly differentiated in form today, such was not always the case.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting onychophorans.
- In that time, the first undoubted fossil annelids, arthropods, brachiopods, echinoderms, molluscs, onychophorans, poriferans, and priapulids show up in rocks all over the world.
- Other organisms placed in the Ecdysozoa include kinorhynchs, priapulids, nematomorphs, onychophorans and tardigrades.
- Furthermore, the absence of engrailed expression in the onychophoran ectoderm makes more sense in the context of a skeleton bounding function rather than a general segmentation program.
Definition of onychophoran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan