noun[mass noun] Geology
- 1Limestone consisting of a mass of rounded grains (ooliths) made up of concentric layers.More example sentences
- Greensand, coal, rock salt, coral limestone, oolites, and boulder clays are examples of indicators of depositional environments.
- At Taskent the upper layer of oolite is more resistant but sharply truncated beneath stromatolites of the overlying Gevne Formation.
- However, in the northeastern area of the outcrop, only the lowermost 0-2 m consist of calcareous sandstone, with oolites, biothermal limestones and crinoidal limestones characterizing the remainder.
- 1.1 [count noun] another term for oolith.
- More example sentences
- Cycles are common, with deeper water bioclastic limestones at their base, followed by shallow marine oolitic limestones and lagoonal calcareous mudstones, with palaeokarstic horizons representing emergence at their top.
- His fieldwork, beginning over 60 years ago in the Svalbard Archipelago, Norway, and Greenland, recognized obvious glacial marine deposits bounded above and below by oolitic limestones that suggested tropical deposition.
- An exception is the minor cyclicity noted in Chadian oolitic limestones of South Wales, but these are restricted geographically, and it is likely that they reflect local controls rather than eustatic ones.
More definitions of ooliteDefinition of oolite in:
- The US English dictionary