Definition of open-ended in English:
1Having no predetermined limit or boundary.
- The other reason I make this statement is because a week before this book landed on my desk, I had bought an open-end ticket to Ireland and gave notice of my intention to quit my job.
- China is launching its first open-end investment fund.
- These also calculate a NAV in much the same way as the open-end fund.
1.1(Of a question) allowing the formulation of any answer, rather than a selection from a set of possible answers: the interview includes both open-ended and multiple-choice questions
More example sentences
- Staff who use open-ended questions or statements allow the child to express the primary emphasis.
- The interview format with open-ended questions allowed for a great deal of freedom in responding.
- Major themes were determined from answers to open-ended questions in a questionnaire.
- Example sentences
- Essential then to Hyde's approach is spontaneity, change, open-endedness, and fragmentation.
- He points out that ‘rights’ introduce a flexibility and open-endedness that no rule can capture.
- If the US pursues its historic mission to co-opt the rest of the world into its scheme of values, it cannot wholeheartedly embrace the open-endedness of market-state politics.
Definition of open-ended in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan