- (Of a tape recorder) having reels of tape requiring individual threading, as distinct from a cassette.More example sentences
- When I was a kid, I discovered, in a cupboard at home, a huge open-reel tape recorder, bought by my Dad in the 1950s.
- The manuscript and printed material is now stored in fifteen archive boxes, whilst the forty-four sound recordings, comprising thirty-nine cassette and five open-reel items, are shelved separately.
- The label obtains open-reel tapes (or very good quality LP pressings) of classical recordings some might consider ‘caviare for the general.’
More definitions of open-reelDefinition of open-reel in:
- The US English dictionary