Definition of open season in English:
1The annual period when restrictions on the killing of certain types of wildlife, especially for sport, are lifted.
- Bluewings accounted for the bulk of birds taken, with Peach Point hunters taking about 15 mottled ducks during the brief open season.
- Closed seasons themselves will not actually prevent a population decline unless culling levels are quite low even during the open season.
- Further, the Commission recommended not only an annual close season but also a weekly close time during the open season.
1.1A period when all restrictions on an activity, especially on criticizing a particular group, are abandoned: it’s open season on public figures
More example sentences
- We need open debate, not an open season on seaside pranks.
- Procrastinating and prevaricating in the matter would amount to sanctioning an open season on minorities.
- Last year, it was open season on the company, but now when you look at the business as a whole, it makes it easier to concentrate on the shop floor.
Definition of open season in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.