- 1A system whereby employees in a place of work do not have to join a trade union.More example sentences
- About 270 workers struck Johnson Truck on April 7 after the company, owned by Carlisle Companies, demanded, in addition to economic concessions, an open shop and the dropping of the automatic dues check-off.
- The sagging economy, competition from the open shop and a new, younger breed of workers and employers have changed the face of construction.
- But the Teamsters bureaucracy broke off negotiations only when the company insisted on instituting an open shop and dropping the dues checkoff, whereby the company deducts union dues from workers' paychecks.
- 1.1A place of work following an open-shop system.More example sentences
- The ‘second almost bloodless victory’ belonged to labor when it closed those open shops over the course of the 1930s.
More definitions of open shopDefinition of open shop in:
- The US English dictionary