Definition of open system in English:
1 Computing A system in which the components and protocols conform to standards independent of a particular supplier.
- One of these facility executives has taken a close look at open systems based on standard protocols and is concerned about the need to develop extremely precise specifications.
- Storage pooling can be used to provide storage capacity to both open systems and mainframe computers even though the data structure is considerably different for both machines.
- What is being done today to bridge the data gap between open systems and mainframe storage?
2 Physics A material system in which mass or energy can be lost to or gained from the environment.
- All natural ecosystems are open systems where energy and matter are transferred in and out through the complex interactions of energy, water, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, sulfur, and other cycles.
- The biosphere is a basically closed system in terms of matter but an open system in terms of energy.
- This is when I introduced the idea of ‘dissipative structures,’ which arise in open systems, exchanging energy and matter with the outside world when driven far from equilibrium.
Definition of open system in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan