Definition of opencast in English:
Denoting a method of mining in which coal or ore is extracted at or from a level near the earth’s surface, rather than from shafts.
- The two main methods of extraction are opencast mining and underground mining.
- Exploration for hydrocarbons has resulted in drilling to basement in many basins and, where coal seams occur close to the surface, opencast mining has exposed the strata.
- Residents are claiming victory today after controversial plans for opencast mining near three quiet Yorkshire villages were thrown out.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The activity of opencast mining: communities facing the destruction of their countryside by opencast
More example sentences
- Workers at the company's Westport's Stockton Mine, Huntly, the Ohai opencast in Southland and Rotowaro in the Waikato joined the strike.
- We are virtually surrounded by opencast and landfill with the promise of another 30 years of the same.
Words that rhyme with opencastworm cast • sandblast
Definition of opencast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.