- Denoting a method of mining in which coal or ore is extracted at or from a level near the earth’s surface, rather than from shafts.More example sentences
- The two main methods of extraction are opencast mining and underground mining.
- Exploration for hydrocarbons has resulted in drilling to basement in many basins and, where coal seams occur close to the surface, opencast mining has exposed the strata.
- Residents are claiming victory today after controversial plans for opencast mining near three quiet Yorkshire villages were thrown out.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
- The activity of opencast mining: communities facing the destruction of their countryside by opencastMore example sentences
- Workers at the company's Westport's Stockton Mine, Huntly, the Ohai opencast in Southland and Rotowaro in the Waikato joined the strike.
- We are virtually surrounded by opencast and landfill with the promise of another 30 years of the same.
More definitions of opencastDefinition of opencast in:
- The US English dictionary