noun[mass noun, usually as modifier]
- Ornamental work in cloth, metal, leather, or other material with regular patterns of openings and holes: white openwork sandals ornamental openwork made of fine gold or silverMore example sentences
- It's used to create decorative openwork stitching on tightly woven fabrics such as linen and fine batiste.
- Motifs that work better for paper embroidery include openwork designs, redwork and quilting motifs.
- She offered a more varied needlework curriculum of plain work, marking, openwork, and embroidery along with reading and writing.
More definitions of openworkDefinition of openwork in:
- The US English dictionary