- In the 1770s he began composing symphonies, concertos, operas and theater music.
- They are even hungry for classical music - operas, symphonies and solo concerts.
- The discretionary fund is used to pay musicians, broadcast live classical music concerts and operas.
- There are many people who are very used to listening to opera, classical music, world music, and pop in languages other than their own.
- The opera has been around China for more than 400 years, impacting many other genres of folk opera.
- In the last few years London has seen a variety of operatic styles in contemporary opera.
- On the other hand, there's nothing like going to the opera or Shakespearean theatre on a mild dose of magic mushrooms.
- When your day's work is done, I can bring the theatre or the opera to your home
- You decide to splash out on a night at the opera, but the theatre is full.
Mid 17th century: from Italian, from Latin, literally 'labour, work'.
An adoption from Italian which goes back to Latin opus, meaning literally ‘labour, work’ ( see office). In mid 1970s America the saying the opera isn't over till the fat lady sings became a way of warning that something had not been finally settled, and that an outcome could still change. The reference is probably to the final solo of an operatic heroine, often played by a large woman.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: opera