Definition of ophthalmoplegia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Paralysis of the muscles within or surrounding the eye.
- Chronic alcoholics are at risk of Wernicke's encephalopathy, in which delirium becomes complicated by ataxia and ophthalmoplegia.
- The patient was observed until approximately 20 months later, when he developed new complaints of a 4.5-kg weight loss, bone and joint pain, and ophthalmoplegia.
- This is the first time that such a damaged enzyme - a DNA synthesis enzyme - has been shown to play a role in a degenerative disease, in this case a condition called progressive external ophthalmoplegia.
- 1ophthalmoplegic adjective
- Example sentences
- Ophthalmoplegic migraine is a rare form of migraine headache that is felt around the eye.
Definition of ophthalmoplegia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.