- A compound resembling opium in addictive properties or physiological effects: opioids other than heroinMore example sentences
- Some of the most addictive pain medications are opioids, a family of drugs that have effects similar to those of opium or morphine.
- Some opioids are natural compounds derived from opium, others are synthetic medications that work in a similar way.
- Historical evidence suggests that law enforcement has been useful in the control of alcohol, tobacco, amphetamine, and opioids.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting opioids: opioid useMore example sentences
- For example, the propensity of opioid abusers entering opioid agonist treatment to discount their cocaine use has been previously documented.
- The medications most often implicated in prescription drug abuse are opioid analgesics, sedative-hypnotics and stimulants.
- Fentanyl, morphine, and hydromorphone are opioid analgesic medications that may be used for moderate sedation/analgesia.
More definitions of opioidDefinition of opioid in:
- The US English dictionary