Definition of opossum in English:
1An American marsupial which has a naked prehensile tail and hind feet with an opposable thumb.
- Scientists say this mammal is the oldest known fossil ancestor of modern marsupials - which include opossums, kangaroos, and koalas.
- Marsupials, such as the opossums of the Americas and the kangaroos, koalas, and wombats of Australasia, generally give birth to tiny immature young which then complete their developments in a pouch.
- Primitively clumsy and slow, with conical heads and pointed pink noses, sparse gray fur and naked ears, mature opossums reach the size of house cats (about ten pounds).
1.1Australian /NZ A possum.
- On Terra these include kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, opossums, and wombats.
- Rabbits and opossums, which were okayed by the Government of the time, have had an enormous and destructive impact on our environment.
- As well as performing amazing movement-restoring surgery on spine damaged opossums, Dr Norman Sauders has built a sailing simulator which he'll be demonstrating at the Sydney Boat Show in August.
early 17th century: from Virginia Algonquian opassom, from op 'white' + assom 'dog'.
Definition of opossum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan