Definition of opponent in English:
- In both contests Webb stopped his opponents in the first round with an awesome display of punching.
- If successful, the bidders win the whole game; if not their opponents win the game.
- Then they allowed their opponents back into the game to snatch victory with two late goals.
- Most importantly he was a vigorous opponent of giving the Bank of England independence.
- An ardent opponent of war, he made a packet from investing in military supplies.
- It is more accurate to say he was an opponent of the regime.
late 16th century (denoting a person opening an academic debate by proposing objections to a philosophical or religious thesis): from Latin opponent- 'setting against', from the verb opponere, from ob- 'against' + ponere 'place'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.