Definition of oppress in English:
1Keep (someone) in subjection and hardship, especially by the unjust exercise of authority: a system which oppressed working people
More example sentences
- So when I rail against the corporate capitalist system that oppresses workers, I'm speaking from my own experience.
- It argues that the modern world fosters institutions and ideas that exploit and oppress people and degrade and destroy the environment.
- He has oppressed our people and caused great hardship for too long.
persecute, abuse, maltreat, ill-treat, treat harshly, be brutal to, be cruel to, tyrannize, crush, repress, suppress, subjugate, hegemonize, subdue, subject, enslave;
scourge, exploit, hold down, keep down, grind down, rule with a rod of iron, rule with an iron hand, trample on, trample underfoot, bring someone to their knees, ride roughshod over
informal walk all over
persecuted, downtrodden, abused, maltreated, ill-treated, tyrannized, subjugated, repressed, subdued, crushed, enslaved, exploited, victimized, misused;
1.1Cause distress or anxiety to: he was oppressed by some secret worry
More example sentences
- I've gotten over being oppressed by it though and will carry on.
- On the way, London's ancient, massive buildings, black statues and dirt surround me, oppress and burden me.
- Animal spirits could be low, broken, oppressed, dejected, petulant, harassed or even ruffled beyond description.
Words that rhyme with oppressacquiesce, address, assess, Bess, bless, bouillabaisse, caress, cess, chess, coalesce, compress, confess, convalesce, cress, deliquesce, digress, dress, duchesse, duress, effervesce, effloresce, evanesce, excess, express, fess, finesse, fluoresce, guess, Hesse, impress, incandesce, intumesce, jess, largesse, less, manageress, mess, ness, noblesse, obsess, outguess, phosphoresce, politesse, possess, press, priestess, princess, process, profess, progress, prophetess, regress, retrogress, stress, success, suppress, tendresse, top-dress, transgress, tress, tristesse, underdress, vicomtesse, yes
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan