noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A protein which forms part of the visual pigment rhodopsin and is released by the action of light.More example sentences
- Rhodopsin consists of a protein called opsin bonded to a pigment called retinal.
- Vitamin A then combines with a protein opsin to form rhodopsin.
- Visual pigments are composed of a light-absorbing chromophore that is bound to the protein opsin.
1950s: shortening of rhodopsin.
More definitions of opsinDefinition of opsin in:
- The US English dictionary