1Something that deceives the eye by appearing to be other than it is.
- It is not an optical illusion or trick photography.
- Consider the famous optical illusion of two identical lines where one has concave triangles at its edges whilst the other has convex triangles at either end.
- The reason many thought it was magic was because the largest of the tattoos that covered its body, as well as the vast majority, were optical illusions, causing something of a hypnosis to occur with those who dared to stare long enough.
1.1An experience of seeming to see something which does not exist or is other than it appears.
- Everyone, from young children to my 94 year-old grandmother, is fascinated by optical illusions.
- For instance, a very nice test of a robotic vision system would be to see whether it was susceptible to the same optical illusions that we are.
- This results in an optical illusion known as a mirage.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: op|tic¦al il¦lu|sion
Definition of optical illusion in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.