Definition of optical axis in English:
1A line passing through the centre of curvature of a lens or spherical mirror and parallel to the axis of symmetry.
- That could lead to lenses with parallel sides and no optical axis able to focus a point image.
- The main problem with their lens was keeping it centered around the optical axis.
- It is expressed in terms of the angle subtended between the outer rays of the beam and the optical axis, as shown in Figure 3.
2 Crystallography A direction in a doubly refracting crystal along which a light ray does not undergo double refraction.
- Each region has an optical axis specified by the direction and depth of orientation of liquid crystal molecules along the surface of the liquid crystal film structure.
- Optically, the test appears to be constructed of randomly oriented grains, but in fact the crystals are highly ordered so that their optical axes are uniformly oblique to the surface of the test.
- This type of device is to be configured in such a way that it can be used for detecting material with optical axes in various directions without requiring assembly.
Definition of optical axis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan