- A fluorescent substance added to detergents in order to produce a whitening effect on laundry.More example sentences
- Softeners, optical brighteners, and antistatic agents also may be used on some fabrics.
- As a result, the materials that contain optical brighteners appear to reflect more light than is incident upon them and the blue-violet emission tends to offset yellowish reflected light making the material appear whiter.
- Arches Bright White is created without optical brighteners or bleaches with only the purest well water and cotton fibers, company officials said.
More definitions of optical brightenerDefinition of optical brightener in:
- The US English dictionary