Definition of optical illusion in English:
1Something that deceives the eye by appearing to be other than it is.
- It is not an optical illusion or trick photography.
- Consider the famous optical illusion of two identical lines where one has concave triangles at its edges whilst the other has convex triangles at either end.
- The reason many thought it was magic was because the largest of the tattoos that covered its body, as well as the vast majority, were optical illusions, causing something of a hypnosis to occur with those who dared to stare long enough.
1.1An experience of seeming to see something which does not exist or is other than it appears.
- Everyone, from young children to my 94 year-old grandmother, is fascinated by optical illusions.
- For instance, a very nice test of a robotic vision system would be to see whether it was susceptible to the same optical illusions that we are.
- This results in an optical illusion known as a mirage.
Definition of optical illusion in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan