Definition of optimal in English:
Best or most favourable; optimum: seeking the optimal solution
More example sentences
- The optimal solution in my eyes is to have smoking banned in public places except for designated smoking areas.
- What are the optimal temperature and light conditions for the germination of these seeds?
- Nominating either more or fewer candidates than the optimal number costs a party seats.
- optimality noun
- Example sentences
- Although animals may appear to display optimal behavior, experiments have shown that optimality is rarely achieved.
- A doctor undoes illness and injuries to restore optimality.
- In a biotic environment, current reproduction will affect future population sizes, but these future changes may also affect the optimality of current reproductive decisions.
Late 19th century: from Latin optimus 'best' + -al.
Definition of optimal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.