Definition of optimism in English:
1Hopefulness and confidence about the future or the success of something: the talks had been amicable and there were grounds for optimism
More example sentences
- I think in the '60s there was a certain amount of optimism about the future in technology.
- Young officers like me could look forward to the future with confidence, hope and optimism.
- Princess Anne officially reopened Westbury Dairies offering words of hope and optimism for the future of the plant.
2.1The belief that good must ultimately prevail over evil in the universe.
- Natural theology was above all a counsel of optimism, a belief in the essential goodness of the Creator.
- I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy, if only because it offers us the opportunity of self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Subsequent wars and revolutions have made Kant's optimism unfashionable.
- Example sentences
- Demand may already have overtaken production, and even extreme optimists predict that production will peak before 2015.
- Call them the grand optimists of American small business, if you like.
- Where did the optimists think the traffic would go?