plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of technology concerned with the combined use of electronics and light.
- Photonics and optoelectronics are interesting and important technologies that are relevant to many of these markets.
- There may be fewer complaints about skills shortages now that the industry has shed thousands of jobs, but there are still dozens of unfilled posts in optoelectronics and electronic engineering.
- Another challenge is that optoelectronics is a mélange of unstandardized technologies and material systems.
- Example sentences
- Those projects range from optoelectronic integrated circuits to nano-electronics, including advanced materials for devices such as quantum wells, quantum dots and quantum wires.
- Processes for optoelectronic assembly today include many traditional microelectronic assembly processes and a few special processes that include the added complication of fiber alignment and active-component alignment.
- Major chip-makers and optoelectronic component manufacturers are in the north of Silicon Valley and biotech companies are in the south.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: opto|elec¦tron|ics
Definition of optoelectronics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.