Definition of orality in English:
1The quality of being verbally communicated.
- Its orality, its political intentions and ramifications, and its promise of unspoken truths about the African American experience all place it firmly in African American autobiographical traditions.
- Harper's poem, wonderfully modulated in its orality, speaks to such an audience.
1.1Preference for or tendency to use spoken forms of language.
- Her brief (and only briefly summarised) lecture on ‘the future of the novel’ is followed by her getting into an argument about orality, performance and the need to please an audience.
- This shift in sensibility toward orality is not a single literary movement, as it has sometimes been misconstrued.
- There seems to be this fascination with orality.
Words that rhyme with oralitybanality, duality, fatality, finality, ideality, legality, locality, modality, morality, natality, reality, regality, rurality, tonality, totality, venality, vitality, vocality
Definition of orality in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.