- A plant with complex flowers that are often showy or bizarrely shaped, having a large specialized lip (labellum) and frequently a spur. Orchids occur worldwide, especially as epiphytes in tropical forests, and are valuable hothouse plants.
More example sentences
- Family Orchidaceae: numerous genera and species
- Many tropical orchids are epiphytes, growing on the side of trees, and will not do well if their roots stay wet.
- Flowering epiphytes - bromeliads, orchids and cacti - are presented most commonly.
- Because orchids are primarily tropical epiphytes and small herbs, they do not have a fossil record.
- More example sentences
- The prospective orchidist will want to have a general knowledge of the orchid family and a survey of the individual members with whom he may want later to become more closely acquainted.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Orchid(ac)eae, formed irregularly from Latin orchis (see orchis).
More definitions of orchidDefinition of orchid in:
- The US English dictionary