- A straight line from any point drawn parallel to one coordinate axis and meeting the other, especially a coordinate measured parallel to the vertical. Compare with abscissa.More example sentences
- The negative and positive signs on the ordinate mean, respectively, underestimation and overestimation of the expected values.
- Time in minutes is plotted along the abscissa and the cumulative number of responses is plotted on the ordinate.
- The ordinate indicates additive effects on each trait estimated by interval mapping.
late 17th century: from Latin linea ordinata applicata 'line applied parallel', from ordinare 'put in order'.
More definitions of ordinateDefinition of ordinate in:
- The US English dictionary