- A silvery freshwater fish of the carp family, which is fished commercially in eastern Europe. Also called ide.
More example sentences
- Leuciscus idus, family Cyprinidae. See also golden orfe
- The big main lake in front of us has nearly eight hundred carp plus some orfe and tench.
- This is well stocked with a good head of roach, rudd, tench, bream, carp and orfe.
- The same lake is also good for mixed nets of ide and orfe with fish to 2lb.
late 19th century: from German; perhaps related to French orphe, Latin orphus, and Greek orphos 'sea perch'.