Definition of oriel in English:
1A large upper-storey bay with a window, supported by brackets or on corbels.
- Because of the oriel's off-center position, the Dance of Death frieze is divided into two parts of unequal length.
- The tree's branches structurally support the third-floor oriel extending halfway up the fourth floor or gable above it.
- Because the Klein family owned ironworks in northern Moravia, cast iron was widely used on the building's facade in windows and oriels.
1.1 (also oriel window) A window in an oriel.
- The window frames have also been scrapped and repainted and the leaking roof of the oriel window has been repaired.
- The room feels like a ship - Dad and I love boats - and has an oriel window.
- Mullioned turret and oriel windows running across the first and second storeys create a wall-of-glass effect from the exterior and light and airy chambers within.
Definition of oriel in:
- US English dictionary