Definition of orientalism in English:
1.1The representation of Asia in a stereotyped way that is regarded as embodying a colonialist attitude.
- Hollywood's vision of the middle east hasn't got much beyond Victorian orientalism, either.
- The European position bore all the earmarks of what Edward Said has called orientalism.
- The nineteenth-century preoccupation with orientalism provided a strong design influence well into the twentieth century.
- Example sentences
- You are a friend, I cannot simply release you without hard proof of your innocence, not in dangerous times like this. you are a great Orientalist.
- That is often why the prejudices and aberrations of one generation of Orientalists were exposed and rejected by the next.
- He is one of the few Orientalists whose writings demonstrate a deep understanding of the Arab mind and how it works.
Pronunciation: /ɔːrɪˈɛnt(ə)lɪst/ /ɒriˈɛnt(ə)lɪst/noun& adjective
Definition of orientalism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan