Definition of orientalism in English:
1.1The representation of Asia in a stereotyped way that is regarded as embodying a colonialist attitude.
- Hollywood's vision of the middle east hasn't got much beyond Victorian orientalism, either.
- The European position bore all the earmarks of what Edward Said has called orientalism.
- The nineteenth-century preoccupation with orientalism provided a strong design influence well into the twentieth century.
- Example sentences
- You are a friend, I cannot simply release you without hard proof of your innocence, not in dangerous times like this. you are a great Orientalist.
- That is often why the prejudices and aberrations of one generation of Orientalists were exposed and rejected by the next.
- He is one of the few Orientalists whose writings demonstrate a deep understanding of the Arab mind and how it works.
Pronunciation: /ɔːrɪˈɛnt(ə)lɪst/ /ɒriˈɛnt(ə)lɪst/noun& adjective
Definition of orientalism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.