1A tree-dwelling Old World bird of which the male typically has bright yellow and black plumage.
- Family Oriolidae and genus Oriolus: many species, including the golden oriole.
- First up was a bright yellow, black headed oriole which was given a new ring, as it had none.
- The buntings, orioles, hummingbirds, and many other warblers have yet to arrive.
- If you want to lure woodpeckers, hummingbirds, or orioles to your yard, invest in specialized feeders.
2A New World bird of the American blackbird family, with black and orange or yellow plumage.
- Genus Icterus, family Icteridae (sometimes called the American oriole family): many species.
- I see evidence of nesting by fox squirrels, blue jays, American robins, and Baltimore orioles.
- I can't prove it, but I presume that this is the same family of hooded orioles that visits our neighborhood each year.
- The oriole families then commence the perilous journey to tropical Africa running the gauntlet of the trappers en route.
Words that rhyme with orioleaureole, gloriole
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ori¦ole
Definition of oriole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.