- A gold-coloured alloy of copper, zinc, and tin used in decoration and making ornaments: candlesticks in glass, bronze, and ormolu [as modifier]: an ormolu clockMore example sentences
- There is also a correlation between art brass and the traditional use of ormolu in French interiors.
- He checked the time by his watch, then reset the ormolu clock on the desk, which had lost two minutes during the night.
- Needless to say, the ormolu retains its original gilding, and the Blue John body is richly hued and striated.
mid 18th century: from French or moulu 'powdered gold' (used in gilding).
More definitions of ormoluDefinition of ormolu in:
- The US English dictionary