- A belt of the earth’s crust involved in the formation of mountains.More example sentences
- These collision zones are known as orogenic belts, and the mountains are referred to as orogens.
- The Delamerian Orogen is a compressional orogen developed by westward vergent folds and thrust faults.
- Several features of the mountain belt are atypical when compared with other Palaeozoic orogens such as the Appalachians, Caledonides and Variscides.
1920s: from Greek oros 'mountain' + -gen.
More definitions of orogenDefinition of orogen in:
- The US English dictionary