- A bright yellow mineral consisting of arsenic trisulphide, formerly used as a dye and artist’s pigment.More example sentences
- Commonly associated minerals include orpiment, stibnite, a variety of sulfides and sulfosalts, calcite, and barite.
- Jet is black and shiny when polished, and was sometimes inlaid with tin, calcium carbonate or orpiment, a yellow mineral imported from France and Germany.
- Of these, lead white, red ochre, red lake, orpiment and Prussian blue do not appear in the 1892 list; but all these pigments have been found elsewhere in Watts's oeuvre.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin auripigmentum, from aurum 'gold' + pigmentum 'pigment'.
More definitions of orpimentDefinition of orpiment in:
- The US English dictionary