Definition of orthopteran in English:
An insect of the order Orthoptera, such as a grasshopper or cricket.
- More than half of the arthropods were spiders, followed by coleopterans, orthopterans, and homopterans.
- Indeed, I have not seen a smooth green snake in southern Michigan in the past twenty-five years and wonder if it is not because pesticides have killed off the little orthopteran insects and spiders that are the mainstay of this snake's diet.
- Thus, they appear to be specialized morphologically and their long, deep bill may facilitate the capture of large, fleeing prey (e.g. spiders, orthopterans, and geckos) that are uncovered under the leaf litter.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting orthopterans.
- To ensure that we used biologically meaningful parameter estimates in our model, we used literature values for orthopteran species whenever possible.
- The body fossil record of arthropods in the Chinle Formation is limited to beetle elytra and a few poorly preserved wings of orthopteran insects.
- Signal duration and pulse rate are important for female choice, for example, in orthopteran calls but also in some other insects, and even in spiders.
- 1orthopterous adjective
- Example sentences
- Orthopteroid insects are from medium to large size.
- The Orthopterous insects distinguished by the preceding characters are popularly known under the names of Spectres, Walking-stick and Walking-leaf insects.
Definition of orthopteran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.