- A large antelope living in arid regions of Africa and Arabia, having dark markings on the face and long horns.
More example sentences
- Genus Oryx, family Bovidae: three species, including the Arabian oryx (O. leucoryx). See also beisa, scimitar oryx
- Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.
- His animals were the pig, the donkey, the hippopotamus, and the desert oryx.
- The once nearly extinct white oryx, an antelope, has been successfully reintroduced into the wild in Oman.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek orux 'stonemason's pickaxe' (because of its pointed horns).
More definitions of oryxDefinition of oryx in:
- The US English dictionary