- Astronotus ocellatus, family Cichlidae. Alternative name: velvet cichlid
- The barbasco oozed a milky-white colloid that, after about 20 minutes, brought several dozen catfish, oscars, and killifish to the surface - not dead, but in a dull stupor.
- I'm aware that plenty of aquarium fish can live much longer than six years, like oscars, pacus, arowanas, etc, but I've never found anything about tetra or other small characoid lifespans.
- Examples include the oscar, Jack Dempsey, jewelfish, convict cichlid, Midas cichlid, and spotted tilapia; and livebearers, such as swordtails, platies and mollies, and armored catfishes.
noun( trademark in the US)
- She started dancing at two and went on to win several Oscars, Golden Globes and Emmys.
- The only two indie films to be given Oscars this year were Iris and No Man's Land.
- After all, expectations would be high after garnering all 5 of the big Oscars from his last film.
- Certainly at the Oscars and Golden Globes you practically have to buy your awards.
- Did the film's failure at the box office and at the Oscars and even in most critics groups make me right?
- This Scandinavian film won the best foreign language film at the Oscars in 1987.
One of the several speculative stories of its origin claims that the statuette reminded Margaret Herrick, an executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, of her uncle Oscar.
Words that rhyme with OscarKotka • Knickerbocker
Early 20th century: from the name Oscar Asche (1871–1936), Australian actor, used as rhyming slang for ‘cash’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.