Definition of oscine in English:
Relating to or denoting passerine birds of a large division that includes the songbirds. Compare with suboscine.
- Suborder Oscines, order Passeriformes
- The ability of territorial oscine males to discriminate between songs of neighbors and strangers has received considerable attention, but this phenomenon is virtually unstudied in suboscines.
- A possible explanation for this apparent limited interest is that oscine song, the dominant model for avian acoustic studies, is learned.
- In many oscine species, song or syllable repertoire size increases from young to older birds, although not in all studies.
nounBack to top
An oscine bird.
- Cracraft shows an unresolved three-way split between oscines (which form the large majority of passerine birds), suboscines, and New Zealand wrens.
- In addition, intrinsic individual variation, including learned cultural differences in oscines, provides the raw material for vocal divergence through drift or selection.
- Blue-throated Hummingbirds show convergence with oscines in vocal complexity, song organization, song function, and possible learning of some song elements.
Definition of oscine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.